RHEOBYK - our organic rheology additives
BYK has bundled together some 40 organic and well-proven products from its wide-ranging rheology portfolio under this new brand name. In doing so, BYK is accentuating the organic additives in its broad rheology assortment.
The formulations of the additives and their technical data will remain unchanged under the new brand name. But in future, the RHEOBYK brand itself will allow to identify the organic products at a glance.
The RHEOBYK range includes the BYK-400 series additives, for example, as well as the OPTIFLO family and other products more like:
Designed for Water-borne Epoxies Suitable for Various Systems
Driven by the Chinese coatings market – especially the freight container coatings market – water-borne systems based on latest epoxy dispersions became into focus in the marine & protective market during the last 2 years. These coatings are formulated with a high pigment content and are applied in higher film thicknesses, so that a rheology control agent is needed to adjust coating properties like anti-sagging and anti-settling.
However, since established rheology additives in the market are not efficient enough, are not stable or even do not work at all in epoxy dispersions, a new technology is required.
With RHEOBYK-440, a new rheology additive based on liquid polyamide technology has been designed, which provides a tailor-made solution for adjusting rheology in these modern water-borne epoxy systems as well as completes BYK’s product family of liquid polyamides with a product for various other water-borne systems.
Besides optimizing anti-sagging and anti-settling properties in water-borne epoxies, RHEOBYK-440 is suitable for various other water-borne coatings, e.g. for achieving good effect pigment orientation.
- Especially designed for the latest water-borne epoxy systems
- Improves anti-sagging and anti-settling properties
- Provides fast structure recovery. Highly shear thinning
- Stable rheology when mixed with hardener
- Stable viscosity over storage
- Easy to handle and to incorporate
- Pre-activated, liquid product
- Post-addition highly recommended
- No pH-value adjustment necessary; pH-value resistant
- Other coating properties are not negativly affected (e.g. corrosion resistance, adhesion)
VOC-, APEO- and Tin-free Associative Thickener (HEUR) for Aqueous Systems, to Generate Highly Pseudoplastic Flow Behavior
RHEOBYK-7600 is a VOC-, APEO- and tin-free associative thickener (HEUR) for aqueous systems, to generate highly pseudoplastic flow behavior. RHEOBYK-7600 considerably increases the viscosity in the low shear range, stabilizes the viscosity when added to color pastes, and improves the color paste acceptance. The rheological properties are comparable to those of RHEOBYK-TVS HEAT technology in conjunction with a better flow. The additive is liquid and, due to its composition, it is also very compatible with the systems, which makes it easy to incorporate and handle. The sagging tendency and the storage stability are improved. It is not necessary to specifically adjust the pH value or control the temperature during incorporation. Combining with rheology additives, which are effective in the high shear range, enables optimal processability.
- Stable viscosity when colorants are added
- Improved colorant acceptance
- Comparable rheological properties with a better flow with regard to RHEOBYK-TVS HEAT technology
- Improved sagging tendency and storage stability
- Easy handling
- No pH value adjustment and no temperature control required
- VOC-, APEO- and tin-free