BYK-mac and smart-chart enable the use of Digital Color Standards
BYK-Gardner - worldwide partner of the automotive, paint and plastic industries for quality control of color, appearance and physical properties - is announcing a new feature in their data analysis software smart-chart: distribution of digital master standards within the whole supplier chain.
Up to now color standards had to be measured by each individual color instrument meaning the involved parties used diverse master panels or had to meet at one location to read the same panel. Very time consuming and introducing a source of error because of poor or varying master panels.
Thanks to the outstanding inter-instrument agreement of the BYK-mac – proven by all major automotive makers - this has changed! The patented usage of LED light sources in the BYK-mac results in an unsurpassed stability and extreme long lifetime (10 year warranty). This new light source guarantees precise and repeatable measurement results and an excellent inter-instrument agreement. Therefore, the spectral data of a standard can be digitally transferred to other BYK-mac instruments by defining this color standard as “master” in the Standard Management module of smart-chart. The master standard can be exported and imported as a file and sent by email to production sites and suppliers worldwide.
By using digital standards a seamless color control management system can be easily established within the whole supplier chain. This is a big benefit as now everybody is referencing the same master standard without having to physically measure the master standard.
Besides this, the BYK-Gardner smart-chart software offers the following benefits:
- Modern and intuitive software combining color and appearance data in one data analysis software.
- Powerful “Standard Management” to define all essential color and appearance control parameters with Pass/Fail tolerances. Custom specific scales for major automotive makers are already predefined.
- Set-up of “Organizers” for clear sample identification and menu guided operation on the instrument. Car schematics help to define the sampling procedure.
- Detailed measurement report of a single test series with just one click. The measurements out of specification are highlighted both in a product schematic and an easy-to-read data table.
- Standardized QC reports in Excel including graphical displays for all measured parameters.
More information is available from BYK-Gardner GmbH, P.O. Box 970, 82534 Geretsried, Germany: By fax: +49/8171/3493-140, the free service no. 0-800-gardner (0-800-4273637)